Saturday, November 01, 2008

The Day After

Well, I had a wonderful time hosting Poetry Friday for the very first time and was thrilled to see 48 bloggers linked to my site yesterday—and to visit each one of their fascinating and varied blogs. I hope everyone had a fun, safe Halloween. And now it’s November! Eek! So much to do… but before I make my “to do” list, I’m tickled to have a wonderful day-after poem to share with you, with special permission from the poet, Lee Bennett Hopkins. It’s from his collection, Halloween Howls (HarperCollins, 2005).









12:0
1 A.M
by Lee Bennett Hopkins


No more reason
to

shudder,

shake,


shiver,

tremble,

quiver,

quake.


No more reason

for

throat

to

thirst.


Halloween's

over.


It's

November

FIRST.


Used by permission of Curtis Brown, Ltd. Copyright c 1993 by Lee Bennett Hopkins.

Isn’t that fun?
Now I’m wondering how many other “day after” poems I can find that capture the moments that follow big days, holidays, and other special events. Hmmm… there’s an interesting topic for a poetry collection! I can think of “Leftovers” by Jack Prelutsky about post-Thanksgiving turkey turkey turkey (from It’s Thanksgiving). Any others?

Picture credit: stumblingtobethlehem.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!! We did not have many at the dooor. But lots of candy left.

Sylvia Vardell said...

A bit of leftover candy is always fun! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Where on earth did you find that PERFECT photo?!

In your next career you can be an Art Director, Sylvia!

Sylvia Vardell said...

Yep, I loved that photo too! It's from: stumblingtobethlehem.blogspot.com

I always post the "picture credit" line at the bottom of my blog postings. Thanks for the fun compliment!

Anonymous said...

I googled one for "day after the election". It's called "Election Year" and is not politically biased. http://poetry.about.com/b/2006/11/08/poem-for-the-day-after-the-election.htm (sorry, you'll have to cut and paste in your browser) Did anyone write a poem after our recent election, I would like to see it.